Friday, July 23, 2010

SM Supermalls: The Mall of Asia

Can’t get enough of malls? Come to the Philippines!

Before I’ll blog about the different places that I have travelled, I want to discuss about the malls here in Philippines. When I travelled abroad, I realized that the Philippines is a hub of malls. The most common place where people hang out would be the malls. 
manila accommodation by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com
It is ironic that Philippines, being a poor country, is full of malls. Even train stations have 2-3 malls strategically built on every stations. Well, that has been the case lately for developing countries. While the metropolitan cities seem to be progressive, one cannot deny the fact, that there more people than the rich ones. Indeed, the rich becomes richer and the only becomes poorer.
philippine hotels by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com
I recently went to Mall of Asia, which is considered as third biggest mall in the world and I was awed by the number of people there. It is not that I am not used with having many people in malls but it just struck me now that amidst the global financial crisis or simply even the reality of poverty, there are still many people who choose to spend their money on non-essential things like clothing, accessories, movies and even dining out.
travel in philippines by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com

mall of asia philippines by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.comYes it is fancy going to the mall even though you are just window shopping. But at the end of the day, we would realize that the hard-earned money just went to something that we can essentially live without. I may not be in the position to say this but in my opinion, people have become blinded with material things, with what is really important in life.
mall of asia philippines by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com

During my visit in a remote area in Indonesia, people asked me where do people in my country usually hang out. And as a ponder this question, it became clear to me that the youth here in Philippines have been stuck in malls and any other places that represents modernity or the fast-paced life. A visit to a waterfall or being in touch with nature is becoming non-existent. There are many beautiful places in the Philippines worth visiting than the malls.  
travel philippines by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com

Want to travel here? Check out the guidebooks below:




1 comment:

  1. That looks a nice place. Thanks for sharing! Anyway, you should also try to visit Marquee Mall. I'm sure you'll love it too.

    ReplyDelete